- 10 minutes
- 1 hour
- Wet Rubz Santa Maria Style Marinade
- 1 boneless leg of lamb, 5 to 6 pounds, butterflied
- Place marinade and lamb into a 1-gallon freezer bag. Spread marinade over all sides of the meat. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 24 hours, the longer the better!
- Remove lamb from refrigerator and let meat come to room temperature (about 20 minutes). When ready to put on grill, remove from marinade bag.
- Prepare grill. If you are using a charcoal grill, prepare the coals so that they are double layered on one side of the grill, and sparsely single layered on the other side of the grill. If you are using a gas grill, heat the grill on high on all burners to start. After the initial browning you will reduce the heat.
- Place the lamb, fat side down, on the grill on the hot side (double layer charcoals). You will get likely get flare-ups, so be prepared with a squirt bottle of water or a couple of cups of water (if using a charcoal grill) to control the flames if needed. Sear one side for 4 minutes, and then flip the lamb over to sear the other side for another 4 minutes. If you are using a charcoal grill, move the roast to the less hot side of the grill. If you are using a gas grill, lower the heat to low. You will want to maintain a temperature of 300-350°F. Cover the grill and let cook for an additional 35-45 minutes (depending on how thick, and how many pounds the roast is), until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast registers 130°F (for medium rare).
- Transfer to a cutting board with a well to catch the juices. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut across the grain, 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick slices. Serve slices on a warm platter; pour meat juices over the slices.